Halfway Reflection



1)     Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? 

I know that it’ll take me extra time to do assignments, especially ones that involve interviews, so as soon as one assignment is turned in, the next Monday I immediately start writing questions to ask and contacting people to get an interview so I have a full five days to get the number of people I need. Also, I carve out time each week to watch the lectures as well as poring over my notes before each cupcake.

2)     Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?

I truly didn’t think I’d be able to find a product or service I could expand into a full-scale business. I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want to keep switching, but I looked back through my bug list and found something that would work. Interviewing people has also been a challenge because by nature, I am a very shy person. Talking to people has never been my strong suit but as I kept conducting these interviews, I developed more people skills as well as ways to get more information out of someone and make them feel more at ease.

3)     Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?

Number 1: Don’t slack. Get out an excel spreadsheet, set a timer, do something that will force you to work on this class multiple times a week. If you leave all of your work for Friday night, it’s doable, but you will be very sad. Number 2: Keep notes on stuff that people tell you that bothers them. Not only will this help for the first few assignments, but you can ask questions on why that bothers them, how they go about looking for a solution, etc. Number 3: Always be working on something that you’re passionate about. Or if not passionate, at least interested in. This will help you to be driven to find a good solution, find people to interview for your market, and be motivated to complete all the assignments in time. 


Comments

  1. Hey Julia,

    This is a great introspection into how your semester has been going in this class. There are a lot of things that can be learned from your experiences when you go back and analyze exactly what happened. I completely relate to your points on procrastination as well. The way this class is set up leaves me very prone to getting behind on things and forgetting about doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    I like your opinion on what it means to be tenacious. Tenacity is all about never giving up no matter how hard the circumstances and I think you explained that great. I can also relate to your procrastination issue. I have a very hard time finding motivation for things that I don't immediately need to finish, so I often just put them off. Keep up the tenacity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, I know exactly how you feel about being shy in interviews. Even though this class has put me somewhat out of my shell, I still feel awkward every time I must re-do it. It does get easier every single time though. I enjoyed reading your output and opinion on how your semester has been so far and agree with the tips that you provided for future students, all those qualities are necessary for a successful semester!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elevator Pitch #3

Elevator Pitch #2